Sunday, September 6, 2009

Books made out of maps, and the Reuse Centre


Here are some books I made from old maps. One is a map of Montreal and the other is a map of Rome, circa 1988. It even has the Colosseum on it, ha ha!
The trickiest thing with making these map books is ensuring that everything reads correctly; like the content isn't upside down when I sew the book together. Still working with the homemade glue, too.

Man, I love using stuff for what it's not intended for. And I love Edmonton's Reuse Centre; it's where I found the maps. Hot tip for anyone who works in theatre/with children/or collects junk: the Reuse Centre will save you lots of money! Remember when you had that pressing need for hundreds of popsicle sticks? Or swatches of fabric? The Reuse Centre is like this storage room full of crap that you normally don't need until right after you've given it away -- cardboard boxes and 3-ring binders and yarn etc. It's like Staples for crafty people, only you pay $4 per visit and take as much as you want. This is a lifesaver if you have to plan crafts for kids, or design a theatre set on a budget. I'm sure there are many more scenarios, but those are the two that immediately come to mind. See for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Poke me or prod me: