Thursday, July 9, 2009

I'm trying a new thing, which is vinyl book covers. This is instead of paper, which usually decorate Sushi's handmade books. The designs on the covers are done by me, and this particular line of books is on the quirky side. The pages inside are still 32lb text with a smooth finish. However, the pages are lined and have design elements the reflect the cover. The books measure 5"x 7", nice and compact.


The vinyl is quickly growing on me because it's so durable -- I don't have to stress so much about spilling on or scratching the cover. These can take a lot more abuse than the paper ones, which is ideal when you can't leave your home without jamming a few notebooks in your bag like a writerly klepto. Plus, doing my own designs is an interesting break from using paper swatches designed by other people. They boast some really rich colours, thanks to some expert printing.

If you'd like to meet one, come see me at Edmonton's downtown farmer's market on Saturday, July 11, or at the Make It sale on Saturday, July 18. (More about that cool event later!)

2 comments:

  1. Adorable! Are you using PVC-free vinyl though? Otherwise it stays in landfills for eons and emits really toxic stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! That's an excellent question. I'm not really sure if it's PVC-free; I'll make it my homework to find out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Poke me or prod me: