Friday, April 26, 2013

Like I need another opportunity to drop my phone in the toilet


Some captains of the publishing industry dream of shoehorning augmented reality into magazines. This inspired another comic.

You know augmented reality -- it's like when you scan a QR code with your phone, or otherwise use your device to interact with print media. It's a neato trick that's especially useful for marketing campaigns. However, some executives think it would be even better to overlay digital information on every goddamn page of a magazine. So as you flip through the 'zine, you have your phone at the ready to scan various graphics on the page. As a designer, I hate the idea of having to limit my creativity to what's compatible with scanning technology. But the whole thing sounds gimmicky and cumbersome.  After the novelty wears off, I doubt many readers would continue waving a cell phone at a magazine in their lap. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poke me or prod me: